Retired couples are no longer portrayed as two senior citizens rocking back and forth in rocking chairs on the front porch while the man naps out and the woman knits garments. Retired couples are full of fun and zest for their newly acquired life as retired persons.
There are so many fun things to do and see as a black retired couple, there should only be a minimum of rocking out on the front porch.
Travel and Adventure
Hopefully, you have planned your finances successfully and maybe even downsized to a smaller home, condo, or townhouse, and you now have some flexibility financially as well as time-wise to travel and explore the world.
There are several activities you can explore while traveling as well:
* Hiking: Hiking is a great way to keep physically fit, explore, go out on adventures, and meet new people with similar interests.
* Boating: If you have always wanted to live the boating life, now is a great time to try it out. Explore options for taking classes before you head out on the water so that you are familiar with safety and emergency precautions. Grab a group of friends and set sail for the day.
* Camping: If you felt that camping was too much work when raising your young family (too many things to pack along), now may be the perfect opportunity to investigate the great outdoors.
* Beaches: Becoming a beach bum as part of your retirement plan is a great way to just kick back and take in a much-deserved spell of rest and relaxation.
Helping Others by Giving Back
Perhaps you have always wanted to be a power couple by volunteering, but the time never seemed to present itself. Now that you are a black retired couple, however, you have the opportunity to become involved with many different things to help others.
* Workshops: You and your spouse can offer workshops giving advice and tips on how to retire successfully.
* Tutoring: Perhaps you and your spouse are able to offer tutoring in English or a foreign language to those struggling with language.
* Nursing homes: Spending time in conversation or simply doing some light reading in a nursing home setting would provide an outlet for your time and a sense of fulfillment for both of you.
* Creative endeavors: If you and your spouse have an artistic side, you can offer workshops for painting or creative writing.
* Working with animals: Working in an animal shelter will provide love and support for animals with no homes.
Do Something You Always Wanted to Do
* Take dance lessons or learn how to swing dance, line dance or take Latin dance lessons.
* Learn how to draw or take art lessons together; learn how to paint.
* Write or create a blog together about how great retirement really is.
* Establish a date night, go to dinner and take in a movie you are both interested in, or just go out on a nite on the town.
* Go traveling to other countries you’ve always wanted to visit. Go check out the new African American Museum in Washington, D.C.
As a newly retired power couple, the possibilities are endless.